Sunday, February 10, 2013

Big East Thriller

  A classic rivalry took place; Louisville at Notre Dame.  Most of their recent meetings have gone into overtime, but this game was even more special.  Five overtimes.  With a low-scoring game, the halftime score would be 27-24 Notre Dame.  The Fighting Irish were really fighting for this win.  Louisville came out hot in the second half.  The Cardinals forced turnovers early in the second half, including a great steal leading to a dunk plus the foul.  The second half was all Louisville, until the last :50 seconds.  The reason being was Jerian Grant.  He scored 12 points in a span of about :50 seconds.  Grant had three three-pointers and a layup, plus a foul.  Jerian had a total of 19 points, 6 assists, and 4 rebounds.  He didn't score until the last minute.  Grant did foul out, but the Irish kept on fighting.  In fact, Notre Dame linebacker, Manti Te'o, was at the game, and was spotted when Louisville was coming out of he tunnel for the second half.  Pat Connaughton led the Irish in rebounding and assists.  he had a total of 16 points, 7 assists, and 14 rebounds; a double-double.  The reason the Irish won this game was Garrick Sherman.  He had the tip-in in the fourth overtime to send the game into the fifth overtime.  Scoring 20 points to go along with 6 rebounds, Sherman is going to be a great part of Notre Dame.  Jack Cooley had a total of 11 points, 1 assists, and 11 rebounds.  Again, another double-double.  Chane Behanan led Louisville in points and rebounds, with 30 points, 15 rebounds, and 1 assist.  Gorgui Dieng had a team lead 5 assists to go along with 17 points and 13 boards.  Russ Smith took most of Louisville's last shots, but none of his shots fell in.  He had a total of 21 points, 3 assists, and 10 rebounds.  The final score would be 104-101 Notre Dame in a thriller.  One of the referees was a referee for two games in one day.  He was a referee in the Depaul and Marquette game.  The referee drove three hours to South Bend, Indiana.  The referee that was supposed to be there was caught up in the snowstorm affecting all of the Northeast.  This game was the longest in Big East history in the regular-season.  The longest ever in Big East history was in the Big East Tournament in Madison Square Garden.  The matchup was Syracuse and Uconn in the semifinals of the Big East Tournament.  It went into six overtimes, with Syracuse on top.  The Irish have been golden all year long.  The following picture is Garrick Sherman in an interview with ESPN about his late tip-in.
By Ameen I.

No comments:

Post a Comment